Why cats don't want to eat
Has your cat ever refused to eat? This condition needs to be watched out for, especially if it occurs frequently, because it can indicate health problems that may be dangerous. However, you don't need to worry too much because there are various ways to deal with a cat that won't eat.
When cats don't get enough food, they rely on fat stores for energy. Before being used as 'fuel', the fat must be processed by the liver so that it requires an adequate supply of protein.
Fast weight loss incatwho go on hunger strike, causing their protein supply to be depleted so that the liver becomes overwhelmed by fat.
This can lead to a dangerous condition called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver) which can lead to liver failure.From illness to psychological problems, here are the reasons why cats won't eat.
Illness is one of the reasons why cats won't eat. This is because a number of mild to severe medical conditions, such as toothache, indigestion, respiratory problems, to cancer, can cause a cat's appetite to be lost.
Dislike the food given
Another trigger for hard-to-eat cats is not liking the food you give them. This condition occurs when the taste or texture of the food given is not as usual. Besides, if you givestale food, these furry animals may also not want to eat them.
Vaccine side effects
The cause of the cat not wanting to eat and sleep continuously can also be caused by the side effects of the vaccine.
If your cat loses her appetite shortly after getting the vaccine, that's a common reaction. However, this condition is generally mild and only temporary.
Cats are creatures who like to build habits. A change in routine can be the reason your cat won't eat.
In addition, they can also experience motion sickness when traveling by car or plane, causing the cat to become limp and nauseous.
If not physically sick,emergencyor depression could be the reason your cat won't eat. Conditions, such as the presence of new people, not being invited to play, or changing their usual diet, can also affect a cat's mental health.
How to deal with a cat that won't eat
Anxiety can certainly arise when a sick cat does not want to eat. However, you should not treat it carelessly.Here are various ways to deal with cats not wanting to eat that you can do.
- Offer different food Try experimenting with choosing different flavors or textures of food as a solution for your cat's refusal to eat. If you previously gave dry food, you can give wet food, such astuna, salmon, or canned chicken, to increase the furry animal's appetite.However, make sure you give it in small amounts first. Because, large amounts of food can cause cats to experience a deficiency or excess of certain vitamins.
- Keeping food fresh One way to deal with catsvomitingand not wanting to eat is to keep the food fresh.Cats often decide what they eat based on smell and taste. When the food you offer is not fresh anymore, they may refuse it. So, you need to make sure to keep the food fresh. You can put canned cat food in the refrigerator and take it out when it's time to eat.
- Accompany or let the cat eat aloneSome cats like to be accompanied when they eat, while others like to eat alone. It is important to pay attention to these habits.f your cat is affectionate and sociable, sitting and petting her while she eats can help restore this furry animal's appetite.Meanwhile, if your cat prefers to eat alone, place the food in an accessible place where there is no interference from humans orpetother.
- Choosing the right bowl Did you know that choosing the right bowl is a way to deal with a cat that won't eat? Ideally, choose a wide container or bowl with shallow sides so that the cat does not have to struggle to enjoy its food. In addition, choose a bowl made of stainless steel because it is durable and easy to clean. You can also use ceramic or glass bowls, but these types of bowls tend to break easily.Avoid using plastic bowls or containers as they can harbor a lot of bacteria when scratched or peeled off.
- Check with the vet Checking with the vet is the way to deal with a cat that won't eat and sleeps all the time. Because, it could be that your pet has a health problem that needs to be addressed immediately.After seeing a change indietary habitcat, immediately take it to the vet for proper treatment. The sooner they are treated, the more likely they are to recover quickly.
- Give medicine for the cat won't eat In certain circumstances, your veterinarian may prescribe medication as an appetite stimulant or recommend liquid feeding using a syringe as a way of dealing with a cat's refusal to eat and drink.In more severe cases, your vet may also recommend inserting a feeding tube so that your cat gets adequate nutrition.
Those are some ways to deal with cats not wanting to eat. Do not ignore this condition because it can be dangerous for their health.